Can Dogs Eat Goldfish?

When you are snacking on Goldfish crackers with your family or friends, you accidentally dropped one. Your dog comes around, sees the cracker, knowing that dogs eat everything that they can get their paws on, and eats it.

You then start to wonder whether dogs can eat Goldfish. The short answer is no.

Want to learn more? Stick around as we determine whether dogs can eat Goldfish crackers.

Should I Give My Dog Goldfish?

Goldfish may be a tasty snack for us, but it isn’t the same case for dogs. You should never give Goldfish crackers to your dog because it is both unhealthy and unsafe for their consumption.

These crackers are still junk food that can contain components that are potentially toxic for your dog. It is best to keep Goldfish crackers away from your to save you an emergency trip to the vet.

Is Goldfish Toxic To Dogs?

Yes, Goldfish crackers are highly toxic to dogs that contain a lot of preservatives and ingredients that are known to be toxic to dogs. Your dog may still be able to eat one or two crackers if it so happens to fall off the table, but the negative effects will then start to show if it is consumed in large amounts.

If you suspect your dog has eaten a few crackers or has gone through a whole bag of Goldfish crackers, you must observe if they are displaying symptoms of poisoning, contact your vet, and deliver them to the hospital for a professional evaluation.

Components of Goldfish Crackers

To have a better understanding of why Goldfish crackers are harmful to dogs, let us go through a few of their components, why it is toxic to your dog, and their symptoms of poisoning so you can monitor them for these signs when your dog ate a lot of Goldfish crackers.

Salt

Salt is one of the main components of main ingredients of Goldfish crackers. Large amounts of consumption in your can lead to salt poisoning which can severely dehydrate your dog and might kill them.

Symptoms of salt poisoning in dogs:

  • Excessive urinating
  • Excessive salivating
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Seizures
  • Coma

Onions

Onions are highly toxic to dogs and can lead to onion poisoning because they contain N-propyl disulfide, which can break down your dog’s red blood cells by attaching them to the oxygen molecules in the blood and causing oxidative damage. This can lead to anemia in your dog if not treated immediately.

Symptoms of onion poisoning in dogs:

  • Reddish urine
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Fainting

Garlic

Garlic poisoning, much like onions, is rarely fatal but can still severely harm your dog’s health as it can also cause anemia in dogs. It can also cause gastrointestinal and respiratory problems for your dog.

Symptoms of garlic poisoning in dogs:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Reddish urine
  • Seizures
  • Abdominal cramping

How Many Goldfish Crackers Can Dogs Safely Eat?

You shouldn’t give your dog Goldfish crackers because how it can endanger your dog’s health, but if accidentally fall a few crackers on the ground that your dog so happens to eat, 1 or 2 crackers wouldn’t do too much damage to them.

Large amounts of consumption of Goldfish crackers are dangerous and symptoms of poisoning may come up. You shouldn’t make a habit of letting your dog eat crackers that you offer them or let them eat off the ground.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Goldfish?

If your dog ate through a bag of Goldfish crackers or if you suspect that they did, you must quickly perform emergency precautions to prevent further damage to your dog’s body because of poisoning. Here are what you should do:

1. Contact Your Vet

Consult with your vet for instructions as to what you should do if you are unfamiliar with these situations. Your vet will help you through the process.

2. Observe For Other Symptoms

Keep track of any signs and symptoms of poisoning in your dog. This will help speed up the process of determining what kind of poisoning your dog is having and for the medical professionals to determine what treatment your dog needs.

3. Keep Them Hydrated

Since one of the most common symptoms of poisoning in dogs is dehydration and diarrhea, you must have water available for your dog to drink to avoid severe dehydration while you’re still at home or in the car on the way to the hospital.

4. Bring Them To The Hospital

Poisoning in dogs can often be fatal in severe cases and it might only take a few minutes. Immediately bring your dog to the hospital and let the professionals handle the treatment.

FAQs About Can Dogs Eat Goldfish

How Many Goldfish Can A Dog Eat?

Dogs can eat up to one or two Goldfish crackers without having alarming side effects. You shouldn’t, however, make a habit of feeding them these crackers because it contains components that are severely toxic to dogs and oftentimes can be fatal if left untreated.

Can Goldfish Kill Dogs?

Yes, Goldfish crackers can kill dogs. It contains components that are highly poisonous to dogs, such as salt which can lead to salt poisoning, garlic and onions which can lead to sodium and allium poisoning, and certain preservatives that are safe for humans but severely harmful for dogs.

My Dog Ate Goldfish

If your dog ate Goldfish crackers, you must first contact your vet for instructions as to what you must do. Monitor signs and symptoms of poisoning, mainly excessive thirst, urination, and diarrhea. If so, have water available for them. Immediately bring your dog to the hospital and let the professionals handle the treatment.

Conclusion

Goldfish is junk food, and like any other junk food, they contain components that are toxic to dogs and you should keep them away from your dog to prevent them from accidentally eating them. This will not only keep your dog from harm, but it will also save you an expensive trip to the vet. 

Learn more about the what’s and how’s about your dog at Doggos Daily, where we provide you with all the information that you’ll need.

Rate this post

Was this article helpful?

👍 👎
×

How can we improve it?

×

We appreciate your helpul feedback!

Your answer will be used to improve our content. The more feedback you give us, the better our pages can be.

Follow us on social media:

Facebook Pinterest

Author

by Nicole Barnett

Nicole has been a freelance writer for over 10 years. She has three dogs, two of which she rescued from the streets. When not furiously typing away at her computer, you’d either find her chasing after her adorable dogs and kids, or volunteering at a local shelter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our Newsletter

    https://doggosdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/dots.png
    https://doggosdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/dots.png
    Icons-PawsitiveFood
    _Health
    Icons-PawsitiveTraining
    Icons-PawsitiveGrooming
    Icons-PawsitivePlay
    bt_bb_section_top_section_coverage_image
    Rate this post
    ×

    How can we improve it?

    ×

    We appreciate your helpul feedback!

    Your answer will be used to improve our content. The more feedback you give us, the better our pages can be.

    Follow us on social media:

    Facebook Pinterest

    Author